In traditional cell culture media, supplementation with fetal bovine serum (FBS) is used to supply cells’ needs for:
- Insulin: promotes uptake of glucose and amino acids and facilitates cellular signaling.
- Transferrin: delivers intracellular iron via the transferrin receptor, drives cellular respiration, chelates free iron, and reduces generation of cytotoxic free radicals and peroxide.
- Selenium: required for the activity of glutathione peroxidase, thioredoxin reductase, and other crucial antioxidant enzymes
- Ethanolamine: phospholipid precursor that improves the performance of cells in serum-free media and is required for the growth of certain cell types
- Albumin: binds, transports, and delivers ions, fatty acids, vitamins, hormones, small-molecule drugs, and toxins; regulates serum pH and osmotic pressure; and provides antioxidant activity.
InVitria offers a family of defined supplements that supply the optimal amounts of the essential protein components in defined, recombinant form. All the protein components are manufactured biosynthetically using recombinant DNA technology in an animal-free host. These products enable the reduction of serum and serum-derived contaminants from cell culture media and support improved ex vivo cellular analyses. To learn more about recommended inclusion concentrations for your cell type contact our Product Applications team here.